Well we made it to April and spring has sprung. It is a weird time in the world dealing with COVID, quarantine, self distancing, no handshaking, wearing masks and everything else with our “new normal.” Dealing with the current situation and not being able to get your regular cleanings or dentist can be a bit concerning for people. While you are staying at home and limiting your exposure I wanted to provide some tips to take care of your oral health. Practicing good oral hygiene is key!! Since you can’t come visit me to get your teeth cleaned, take care of your teeth and try these at-home oral care tips! 🦷
10 ORAL CARE TIPS
- FLOSS!!!! I can not stress it enough! Did you really expect anything differently? Once a day is all you need (if you choose to do more..thats great too)
- BRUSH 2-3 TIMES A DAY! With a soft bristled toothbrush(not a medium or hard bristled brush-those can cause toothbrush abrasion or recession)
- USE FLUORIDATED TOOTHPASTE, MOUTHWASH, OR BOTH (you maybe anti-fluoride and that’s your choice)
- AVOID TOBACCO PRODUCTS (smoking, vaping, dipping, etc…)
- DRINK PLENTY OF WATER (Regular tap water or filtered is great….not just flavored sparkling waters)
- END YOUR MEAL OR SNACK WITH CRUNCHY FRUITS OR VEGETABLES (this will help remove any food particles that maybe stuck to your teeth) also eating a healthy diet is important
- BRUSH YOUR TONGUE!! (plaque can sit on your tongue just like it does your teeth. When you are done brushing your teeth finish the process with brushing your tongue. You can also use a tongue scraper-this will help with the morning breath too ;)).
- TRY CANDIES OR GUM WITH XYLITOL (I love xylitol, it doesn’t cause cavities, besides being a natural sweetener, dental research shows xylitol helps prevent cavities) my personal favorite is https://www.drjohns.com
- LIMIT CARB/SUGARY SNACKS BETWEEN MEALS…YES I SAID CARB SNACKS!!! (fermentable carbs break down to simple sugars, so you are still at risk of cavities even if you think eating pretzels, chips, dried fruit, yams,…etc won’t affect your teeth…they do!)
- AVOID SLOWLY CONSUMING OR SIPPING DRINKS LIKE SODA, JUICES, ENERGY DRINKS, GATORADE, VITAMIN WATERS, LA-CROIX THROUGH OUT THE DAY!!! (Frequent and/or regular consumption of sugary or acidic drinks can be dangerous to your teeth 🦷) My next article will explain more about the issue of citric acid and beverage pH levels eroding teeth…so stay tuned 😁
I hope these tips help you while quarantined (even though some are quite obvious) Just take care of your teeth, since you probably have more time on your hands. A healthy mouth helps a healthy body. Plus if you take care of your teeth it will make a easier appointment on you and on me!
UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN ❤️