Coming off the heals of Earth Day 2020 I wanted to list a few oral care/personal care company’s that I personally use and recommend. I am a big believer in using CLEAN/Cruelty-Free/ECO-Friendly products, from home supplies to personal care. This includes dental products too! It may be hard for some people to believe but a lot of major brands in the oral care business still test on animals.
In dental school you are introduced to these giant oral care companies. It’s a travesty more college dental programs aren’t recommending more Natural/Cruelty-Free/ECO-Friendly companies options. This may have changed since I graduated (it’s been a few years 🙂 ) but I still see plenty of Dental Hygienists recommending these companies/products. That is why I am here to share other options with you!!!
There are plenty of CRUELTY-FREE/ECO-FRIENDLY/NATURAL Oral/Personal Care Companies out there!! Don’t be closed minded thinking the”giants” of the oral care industry are the only companies available.
My Go-To Oral/Personal Care Companies:
- HELLO https://www.hello-products.com
- COCOFLOSS https://cocofloss.com
- BURT’S BEES https://www.burtsbees.com/oral-care/shop-all-oral-care/
- MOON https://moonoralcare.com
- KOPARI https://koparibeauty.com
- TOM’S OF MAINE https://www.tomsofmaine.com/products/oral-care
- SCHMIDTS https://schmidts.com
- DR. BRONNER’S https://www.drbronner.com
- MARVIS https://www.marvis.com
- DR. BRITE https://www.drbrite.com
- BOKA https://www.boka.com
- OLAS https://olaswellness.com
- NATIVE https://www.nativecos.com
- GLO SCIENCE (teeth whitening)https://gloscience.com
- SNOW https://www.trysnow.com
- SUN BUM https://www.sunbum.com
- TARTE (whitening pen)https://tartecosmetics.com/en_US/home
- C.O. BIGELOW https://www.bigelowchemists.com
- J.R. WATKINS https://jrwatkins.com
- DR. TEAL’S https://www.drteals.com
- DRUNK ELEPHANT https://www.drunkelephant.com
If you want to switch to cruelty-free/vegan/eco-friendly dental care, it can be hard to find oral care products you need at your local drugstore. However, in the last couple of years they are becoming more available in stores. You can always purchase online and many of these companies have subscriptions so you can create a schedule that works for you and have products delivered to your door. This way you don’t run out and have to worry about trying to find the products locally.
Let’s encourage the expansion/use of “natural/cruetly-free/eco-friendly” products in our homes and by our healthcare providers. Make stores, companies, and brands stock/create more of these options for people to have better/healthier choices. Target, Sephora, CVS, Walgreens, Wegmans, Costco and a few more “brick & mortar” stores are slowly moving this direction by carrying some cruelty-free and green beauty brands. Don’t forget to look at your local health stores/small businesses and ask for these brands as they need our help too!
My dream is that in my life-time I will see ALL oral care companies become nothing but cruelty-free and eco-friendly. I really hope some of these recommendations help you out. I know there are so many more companies/products available, but I didn’t want to overwhelm you. (like 21 isn’t overwhelming :)) I am continuing to test and try new clean dental companies too!
Some of you may be vegan or anti-fluoride and some of these companies and products offer you those options too! While it remains safe to use fluoride topically (my professional opinion), whether or not you continue to use fluoride toothpaste is a matter of choice.
I hope you think about your pet (dog, cat, rabbit, ect…) and Mother Earth next time you purchase your oral/personal care products!!
Hoping to start the conversation from your tree-hugging hippie hygienist!!!