MOON Oral Care, founded by Shaun Neff and Kendall Jenner, launched a dental care product line in 2019. You may be familiar with this new brand of oral care from their social media presence, but if not you can find it at Target, Ulta Beauty stores and on moonoralcare.com. I personally wanted to learn about this new company and their products since I was seeing them advertised on my Instagram. In October, I went to Target and bought the MOON Activated Charcoal Mouth Rinse, Graphite Grey Clean Slide Floss, the Kendall Jenner Teeth Whitening Pen (Vanilla Mint), and of course the Anti-cavity WITH Fluoride Whitening Toothpaste (Target did not have all of the MOON oral care products at the time when I went, so I will try the rest of the products later and review them). I have now been using these products myself for the last 3 months.
Let me start off by saying I was skeptical when trying these products because I thought here is another line of products being endorsed by a well known celebrity/model. Generally, I DON’T care about company spokesman because it doesn’t affect what I buy….I just want a great product that works! One that is safe and does what it claims to do.
Well I was pleasantly surprised when trying the MOON Oral Care product line!
The entire line is vegan, mostly natural (the pen includes urea peroxide), free of sodium laurel sulphates (SLS/SLES), triclosan, parabens, artificial flavors. Some products are enriched with essential oils like tea tree, peppermint, and vanilla, and infused with fruits like cranberry and coconut. The line is also cruelty-free WHICH I LOVE!!!!! and PETA-certified.
MOON oral care uses globally sourced ingredients but the majority of their products are made in the USA!! (However the floss and toothbrushes are not made in the USA)
MOON states they donate to the non-profit organization Operation Smile who’s mission is to heal smiles of children born with cleft lip and cleft palates around the world.
One main aspect that interested me about MOON is the ingredients they claim to use. MOON uses a blend of ingredients called ELIXIR X and ELIXIR III. Moon states ELIXIR X is a blend of 10 antioxidants and essential oils including Tea Tree Oil, Pepperment oil, Coconut Oil, Dead Sea Salt, Ginseng, Green Tea, Black Tea, Cranberry Extract, Echinacea, and Camu Camu. The ELIXIR III blend includes lavender oil, strawberry fruit extract, and honeysuckle flower extract, found only in their whitening pen. I personally like all of these ingredients and am pleased to see them included in an oral care line. It’s about time oral hygiene products started to focus on better ingredients and include essential oils and antioxidants. Additionally, Coconut oil has been studied and proven in dental journals to help with inflammation of the gums.
If you are into “natural” products MOON Oral Care also has fluoride free toothpaste/mouthwash (I personally don’t use it, but I have a lot of patients that are anti-fluoride.). As a Dental Hygienist, I of course recommend fluoride toothpaste but I don’t force my opinion on people/patients. If you feel/believe you do not want fluoride in your oral care products, I will be happy to help guide you to other great non-fluoride products. As a dental provider I strive to guide and educate on all things dental related and MOON Oral Care gives you choices either way you decide.
Products I’ve Tested:
- First I tried the Graphite Grey Clean Slide Floss…It reminded me a lot of Crest Glide floss. The MOON floss is super smooth and won’t shred. It’s so smooth in fact, I had a tough time keeping it around my fingers. It would just slip right off. Due to this, I can see people having trouble keeping it on their fingers if they don’t floss on a daily basis. I do this for a living and the floss kept unraveling from my finger unless I tightened it so tight I would loose circulation. The benefit from floss like this is that it won’t shred. It glides right over the tooth, which is great for people with really tight contacts or dental fillings that have over-hangs. The flavor (mint) is good too!
- Let’s talk about the Activated Charcoal Mouth Rinse... It’s alcohol free which I like….especially for my dry mouth suffers!! It is fluoride free, however I wish MOON would make a mouth rinse like their toothpaste with a fluoride option. I like the activated charcoal mouthwash vs the toothpaste because its less abrasive. This mouth rinse also includes the Elixir X ingredient blend and has a nice refreshing flavor too.
- The Kendall Jenner Teeth Whitening Pen is slim and sleek, making it easy for me to carry in my purse for touchups when I travel or out running errands. The pen contains light-reflecting particles and Urea peroxide to “whiten over time”. It contains strawberry extract, claimed to be a natural whitener, and lavender and honeysuckle to soothe gums the peroxide might otherwise irritate. I used it in the evening after I brushed and flossed before I went to bed. This prevented me from eating or drinking and allowed the product to sit and soak in.
- Did it work? It seemed to lighten my teeth a bit, but didn’t give the results I would be looking for if I wanted to whiten to brighter shades. You should temper your expectations when using this “whitening” pen because it has a lower peroxide concentration, hence a lesser effect than an in-office/concentrated treatment. The pen seems like it would be most effective as a refresher for those who’ve already whitened their teeth. The vanilla mint flavor is nice too but if you have never whitened before please note you can taste the peroxide flavor. It’s not bad at all, but for whitening virgins you may wonder about the taste. It’s totally normal for a whitening gel.
- The Soft Bristle Toothbrush is a tapered fine bristle toothbrush, which I like. I always caution my patients to NEVER use a medium or hard bristled toothbrushes. Soft or extra soft bristles are the way to go!! The ultra-fine bristles are tapered for a better reach in between the teeth. One toothbrush comes with black bristles, while the other comes with white but they are exactly the same brush in different colors. Both have a sleek, lightweight black handle and they gently clean teeth without causing unnecessary harm…..which I love as a dental provider!!
- I saved the best for last….My FAVORITE PRODUCT is the Whitening Anticavity Toothpaste With Fluoride!! This is my favorite product of the entire line!! My husband even commented and liked the feeling and taste when using it (which is funny since he doesn’t get excited about dental products). This toothpaste has the ELIXIR X ingredient blend in it which is wonderful. I love the ingredients, the taste, the feeling, the packaging, AND it is American Dental Association (ADA) Accepted!!! I love seeing the ADA seal on more dental care products!
- As for whitening??? My husband noticed a slight difference but I didn’t (I personally don’t buy toothpaste to whiten teeth because it can be to abrasive and it’s not on your teeth long enough to ACTUALLY whiten). Bottom line is I will be buying more toothpaste and continue to use this at home and recommend it to my family and friends!!!
The Anticavity WITH Fluoride Whitening Toothpaste is also ADA Accepted!!! That’s a big bonus for me as a dental provider.
Overall, as a dental professional, based on the products I’ve tried and the ingredients they claim to use I think the MOON oral care line is a good option for people to use at home. The brand’s rejection of chemicals is part of a larger trend toward natural beauty and the products are reasonably priced for consumers. I can’t recommend their entire dental care line because I haven’t tried everything yet but will continue to buy/try more of their products in the future.
Hoping to start the conversation,